Wednesday, March 27, 2013

In honor of my daughter's (Abigail Jane) birthday I'm reposting a blog I created 3 years ago.  This particular blog was also based on a newsletter that I'd written when my wife and I were on staff with Cru (formally Campus Crusade for Christ).
-----------------------------------------------------------




"A little more than two weeks ago a miracle took place at Fairview Riverside Hospital on the University of Minnesota campus-- my daughter was born!  I witnessed an amazing event-- one that I will never forget.  To see one's child come into the world is a beautiful act of the Lord!

Over the last two weeks Abigail has changed physically quite a bit. She’s getting longer, her little
cheeks are filling out and she is eating a lot. I sometimes wonder if she’ll take on my personality. In
her early stages of life she appears to be quite vocal!


As I’ve observed her the Lord has revealed the gospel to me through her short life. I knew that
babies were dependent upon their father and mother from the very start. But– I had no idea that they
couldn’t do anything on their own and I mean nothing. The only thing she is capable of doing is wiggling
around while she’s flat on her back, making little and loud noises with her mouth, and messing
her diaper (or throwing up on dad). She can’t move around without one of us picking her up and she
can’t eat unless mom feeds her. The way I see Abigail’s life working out is similar in the way that I
see the gospel being worked out in Scripture (all references are from the ESV Bible).


* Only God can save us through regeneration: “He saved us, not because of works done by us in righteousness, but according to his own mercy, by the washing of regeneration and renewal of the Holy Spirit, whom he poured out on us richly through Jesus Christ our Savior,” (Titus 3:5,6)

* Whoever God draws will never hunger or thirst and never be cast out: “Jesus said to them, ‘I am
the bread of life; whoever comes to me shall not hunger, and whoever believes in me shall never thirst.” And, “All that the Father gives me will come to me, and whoever comes to me I will never cast out.” (John 6:35-37)


* Apart from God (through Jesus Christ) we can do nothing: “Abide in me, and I in you. As the branch
cannot bear fruit by itself, unless it abides in the vine, neither can you, unless you abide in me. I am the vine; you are the branches. Whoever abides in me and I in him, he it is that bears much fruit, for apart from me you can do nothing.” (John 15:4,5)


* God (through Jesus Christ) created everything and He holds it all together: “He is the image of the invisible God, the firstborn of all creation. For by him all things were created, in heaven and on earth, visible and invisible, whether thrones or dominions or rulers or authorities– all things were created through him and for him. And he is before all things, and in him all things hold together.” (Colossians 1:15-17)

Abigail did not come into this world on her own strength; the Lord gave my wife the ability to push and she came out. That in itself was a miracle! Saving grace (Ephesians 2:8-9) is also a miracle. Every day Abigail relies on dad and mom for physical nourishment. Same goes for Christians; we must abide in the Lord for our spiritual (and physical) nourishment every second of everyday. If Jesus Christ holds everything together then we have no choice to rely on Him 100% of the time."

No comments:

Post a Comment